Garbage & Recycling – Grand Island
Tips for Successful Trash & Recycling
- Please put out your trash and recyclables before 7 AM on your normal collection day.
- Each week, we’ll collect up to 10 bags and/or containers, recyclables in Pinto totes, and 1 bulk item.
- Containers, bags and/or bushels shall not exceed 60 pounds in weight, excluding trash/bulk items.
- Christmas trees will be collected throughout the holidays.
Batteries, liquids, electronics, hazardous waste, chemicals, or televisions are NOT ACCEPTABLE.
To acknowledge our nation’s holidays and allow our employees time with their families, your garbage and recycling services will be impacted on the following days:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day,
- Christmas Day
During holiday weeks, if your collection day falls on the day of and the following days during that week, your collection will be delayed one day.
If your collection day during the holiday week occurs before the holiday, it will not be affected.
- All CFC (chlorofluorocarbon) units must have gases properly removed and have a sticker approved by DEC & EPA regulations attached to the unit.
- Doors Removed – Refrigerator, freezer, ice boxes and other items with tight fitting doors shall be removed. Locks on all locking appliances shall be disabled or removed.
- Bundled items securely tied, must not exceed 4 feet in length or 4 inches in diameter. One person must easily handle these items.
- Materials left behind by private contractors will not be collected.
- One automobile or smaller tire (rim removed) is allowed each week.
- Christmas trees throughout the Holiday Season will be collected and are exempt from the 4 feet in length rule.
- Bulk trash? See our bulk trash guidelines >
Acceptable materials are to be placed in Recycling Tote provided by Pinto within 5 feet of the street edge or curb prior to 7:00 a.m. on your collection day and separate from the solid waste.